On the radar
Kicker against Ft. Lauderdale – The Kickers had a week of rest after an exciting 3-2 win two weeks ago. The boys are fighting to climb the table. This game is against the worst team in the league so this has the potential to be another high score. Ft. Lauderdale is the MLS’s Inter Miami partner team owned by David Beckham. Maybe he’ll make the trip to check on his boys. The probability of this happening is currently 0.00001%, so there is a chance.
- City Stadium | 3201 Maplewood Ave. | Gates Open 5:00 p.m. Kickoff 6:30 p.m. Saturday, July 17th | $ 9 – $ 18 | cards
Richmond Shakespeare Festival – Connect with the bard in a pretty nice place. Bring your garden chair or blanket and join us on the lovely lawn behind Agecroft Hall, where you can sit as close (or as far from) other guests as you like! You have a great view of the James River, the summer sky, the stage and of course the beautiful facade of Agecroft Hall. You can check the known sorting Twelfth night but i am fascinated by the description of The lower show. The latter comes with this warning: this show is devoid of anything vaguely intellectual, serious, or romantic. Contains simple humor and semi-popular music.
- Quill Theater | 4305 Sulgrave Rd | 7.30pm – 10pm Thursday to Sunday, July 8th – August 15th | $ 33 adults, $ 28 seniors, and groups (10+) $ 20 students | cards
Under the radar
Free ice cream – Gelati Celesti is celebrating National Ice Cream Day this year with a “Midnight Madness” promotion that offers free ice cream at midnight. “We love celebrating America’s favorite sweet treat on National Ice Cream Day,” said Steve Rosser, owner and president. “Since Saturday evening turns into Sunday morning, we want to start the party with free ice cream.”
All locations offer free toddler balls on July 18 from 00:01 to 01:00, then open again at 12:00 for regular giveaways throughout the day such as treats, Gelati Celesti shirts, hats and gift cards.
Summerween family fun weekend – OddBalls is my favorite antique shop in town. This weekend they’ll get in the Halloween mood. The shop is being decorated for Halloween and we will be playing Halloween music throughout the shop. Kids (and pets) are encouraged to dress up and take part in our indoor Halloween trick or treating!
- Oddballs | 7580 W Breitst | Sat-Sun, 17.-18. July | Free of charge | website
Prohibited Broadway – You can talk about it, it’s not forbidden like that. A musical revue that parodies Broadway’s greatest hits. I hear from an insider that it can’t be overlooked.
- Dogwood Dell | 600 S. Arthur Ashe Boulevard | 8:30 p.m., Thu, July 15 – Sun, July 24 | Free of charge | website
Reptile exhibition – Not my cold blooded joke, but for some this is a good time. Reptiles, feeders, accessories, everything under one roof.
- Richmond Raceway | 600 E. Laburnum | 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday, July 17th | $ 8 per person, children under 5 years FREE, 6-9 years $ 3 | website