A distraught man who threatened to jump 30 meters from a crane during a three-hour break with the emergency services was fined £ 20.

The actions of James Charles Jones, whose mental health problems were allegedly exacerbated by alcohol and drugs, resulted in streets being cordoned off while negotiators persuaded him to climb to safety.

The drama took place at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 28, when the suicidal Jones walked into Leicester’s Dawn Center on Conduit Street in Highfields and made a frantic announcement that he was going to commit suicide.

Prosecutor Lauren Butts told the city’s crown court that aid center workers alerted police when Jones, 31, walked into a nearby construction site and climbed on a crane.

She added, “He also called the police and said he was jumping and refused to come down when they arrived.

Continue reading
Continue reading

“Conduit Street and Glebe Street have been cordoned off and pedestrians have also been diverted.

“All three emergency services were present.

“He was 30 feet off the ground, climbing up and down, demanding a blanket, food and the participation of the Leicester Mercury.

“After three hours he was persuaded and told the officers that he had ‘problems’.

“He said he was a daily drug user and started using crack cocaine but was aware of what he was doing when he got on the crane.”

Jones of Alloway Close, Rushey Mead, Leicester, admitted causing public nuisance – for which he was fined £ 20.

He also admitted two previous criminal harm and one threatening conduct offenses that were committed on Sunday, February 21.

They told him how he smashed a mailbox and a gate in the town house of his then estranged girlfriend.

He also threw a rock through a window in his mother’s nearby house, causing £ 100 worth of damage.

Continue reading
Continue reading

Miss Butts said Jones knocked on both victims’ doors to be let in, complaining about being homeless and nowhere to stay at the time.

He admitted the offenses had breached a 14-month prison sentence imposed in January for breaking into a house.

James Varley said mitigating that Jones has since made positive improvements in his life, buying shelter and seeking help with his troubles. He had made up with his girlfriend [who attended court] and also made up with his mother.

He added, “All of this comes from his real mental health problems.”

He said Jones would benefit from the help and assistance of the probation service.

Recorder Simon King said the defendant had made “significant progress” but was caught in “a cat’s mustache” after being taken into custody.

He said to Jones, “Don’t throw this opportunity away.”

Get LeicestershireLive news updates delivered straight to your inbox – click here to sign up for our newsletter.

Alternatively, you can paste your email address in the black login field at the top of this page. As simple as that!

The defendant replied: “No, I won’t, thank you very much.”

In addition to being fined £ 20 for the public crane incident, Jones received two concurrent two-month sentences suspended for 12 months for offenses – concurrent with the previous suspended sentence he had violated.

He was ordered to do rehabilitation for 15 days – the court was told that the probation service would help him investigate the effects of drugs and alcohol on his mental health and wellbeing