The Formula 1 governing body will investigate the procedures after cars are allowed on the track before a recovery crane has returned to safety during qualifying for the Turkish Grand Prix, said race director Michael Masi on Saturday.
The crane had been deployed on turn eight after Nicholas Latifis Williams got stuck in the gravel trap at the end of a rain-hit and delayed opening phase with cars sliding on a slippery surface.
The second phase then began with the crane, which was not yet behind the safety barriers. Double yellow flags waved to warn drivers of the danger.
“The crane was still on the move when we drove around,” said Red Bull’s Alexander Albon.
“That wasn’t very good. I imagine we tried to make the sunset (end of daylight) and we rushed everything, but that was silly.”
FIA race director Michael Masi monitors when the sessions begin and when they are stopped by red flags. Clive Mason / Getty Images
Masi later told reporters that race officials had been informed that the crane would be out of the way before the cars got to where it was.
“As soon as the recovery vehicle was found to have delayed fully entering the barrier opening, we expanded the area of the double-waving yellow flags … to further slow the cars on their laps.
“This is clearly not a scenario we want to see and in hindsight we would have done it differently and held the cars until the restoration was complete,” he added.
“We will review our procedures to minimize the likelihood of similar incidents in the future.”