Kelley Blue Book named the winners of the 2021 Best Resale Value Awards in each vehicle category.
The list includes cars, pickups, SUVs, an electric vehicle, and a minivan with the industry’s best forecasted resale value after 5 years of ownership. The results in percent are shown here near each model.
Kelley Blue Book predicts and tracks vehicle depreciation by analyzing data such as vehicle features and specifications, sales volumes, auction results, and economic conditions.
2021 Best Resale Value Cars
- Subaru Impressa (43.1%) – Best Compact Car
- Toyota Camry (40.9%) – Best mid-size car
- Chevrolet Corvette (49.5%) – Best Sports Car
- Lexus IS (38.4%) – Best Entry-Level Luxury Car
- Lexus LS (33.0%) – Best Luxury Car
2021 SUV with the best resale value
- Subaru Crosstrek (50.4%) – Best Subcompact SUV
- Subaru Forester (45.0%) – Best Compact SUV
- Subaru Outback (41.3%) – Best 2-row mid-size SUV
- Kia Telluride (47.0%) – Best 3-row mid-range SUV
- GMC Yukon (46.4%) – Best full-size SUV
- Jeep Wrangler 4-Door (55.8%) – Best Off-Road SUV
- Volvo XC40 (37.3%) – Best Subcompact Luxury SUV
- Porsche Macan (42.0%) – Best compact luxury SUV
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport (34.8%) – Best 2-row midsize luxury SUV
- BMW X7 (37.8%) – Best 3-row midsize luxury SUV
- Mercedes-Benz G-Class (48.0%) – Best full-size luxury SUV
2021 Best Resale Value Trucks, Electric Vehicles, Minivans
- Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (48.6%) – Best Hybrid Car;
- Tesla Model X (47.3%) – Best Electric Vehicle
- Toyota Sienna (44.7%) – Best minivan
- Toyota Tacoma (55.8%) – Best mid-size pickup
- Toyota Tundra (59.0%) – Best full size pickup truck
- GMC Sierra HD (56.8%) – Best Heavy Duty Pickup
As we can see, the automakers with the most winners are Toyota Motor Co. (5 Toyota Awards, 2 Lexus Awards) and Subaru (4 Awards).
The trucks have the best projected resale value (over 55%) after 5 years of ownership. The Jeep Wrangler 4 door is the best for keeping value among SUVs.
The models that lose the most in value after 5 years of ownership (less than 40%) are the Lexus IS and LS, the Range Rover Sport, the Volvo XC40 and the BMW X7.
Source: Kelley Blue Book